Air Conditioning is a common necessity in many homes and businesses alike as it’s not only used to keep offices, homes, gyms etc cool during the summer periods, it is also used to provide warmth over the winter periods. However common it is, there are also some unusual and less common facts behind the systems. In this light-hearted page we are going to provide you with some interesting and unusual facts about Air Conditioning.
Air Conditioning Facts
- You wouldn’t be reading this article if it weren’t for air conditioning. That’s right, it has played an important role in the development of computer technology and manufacturing.
- Over in America before buildings had central AC, industries and even the government took a summer holiday along with school. Imagine working for 2 or 3 less months!
- The first modern air conditioner was invented by Willis Carrier in 1902 for a publishing company in Brooklyn.
- AC allowed for exponential advances in medicine and human life expectancy. Hospitals started to defeat malaria, decrease infant mortality, inhibit bacteria, and advance developments in surgery.
- The US Department of Defence spends $20 billion per year on air-conditioning in Iraq, more than the total yearly budget for NASA.
Essex and London
AC can have many uses alongside the traditional ones of simply keeping people cool. You may not use Air Conditioning in the same ways as the above, however its benefits have certainly stretched far and wide.